Unlock the August advantage for year-end success during the relative pause offered by this month. Transitioning from beach to business post Labor Day may feel like a jolt, especially as the year-end’s hustle and bustle starts with September’s arrival. But though your mind may still be basking in summer’s relaxed rhythm, believe it or not, that’s the perfect state for cultivating game-changing insights! Let’s turn this laid-back mindset into a platform for innovative thinking.
You may say you’re so not ready for that right now. For most, our heads are fully into summer relaxation and play mode. But that is the exact mindset for the richest, most innovative thinking to be done! To help you, I’ve made a guide of questions you can answer with coffee one morning, or ponder while biking, walking or paddling, sunning, gardening, or washing the car or dishes. You can record notes on your phone as you go, or sit down to jot down notes after reflection. Just take a look, and you’ll see what I mean.
Think back to January 1, when you had the entire year ahead of you. Remember the goals you laid out? It’s essential to recognize your progress and how you’ve developed, as well as seeing what popped up that added new goals or may have taken things in an entirely different direction.
- What achievements can you celebrate thus far? What were the wins, big or small, you’ve had in the last 8 months?
- What unforeseen events shook your world? What surprises, hurdles, or new openings altered your personal and professional path? Did any leave an indelible mark on you?
- Reflect on the episodes, exchanges, or instances that have deeply resonated with you. These can be poignant dialogues, breakthroughs, or lessons.
- How are you spending your time? Take stock of your current pursuits and duties. Pinpoint the assignments, ventures, or actions that have engaged most of your resources and attention recently. It’s very grounding.
- Where do you yearn for more clarity or knowledge? Becoming aware of this is most valuable.
This is where you look ahead to how you want to wisely use what will be left of the year – because by August, we are well into the 3rd quarter and Q4 can fly.
- What will make this year look like success to you? What is left to do? This will function as your north star, directing your actions and choices in the future.
- What elements will lead to a memorable Q4? Investigate the factors that can lead you on an enriching, meaningful path in the coming months (A hint is to synchronize your pursuits with your principles and ambitions).
- Who may provide the most assistance to you? Pinpoint the people in your support circles who hold the expertise, insights, or means to bolster your objectives. Nurture those impactful relationships.
- Flesh out #5 above, where you identified where you wanted to be clearer or gain more knowledge. What can you do in answer to those?
You can go deeper with these questions by discussing them with friends, your peers in other or similar professions, or colleagues.
- Who would you be interested in joining forces with? Think about potential partners, be it workmates, acquaintances, or advisors.
- What do you need your colleagues to know? Consider the information, insights, or support you require from your teammates or coworkers, and name your needs to enhance collaboration and productivity (Communicating your needs actually fosters a more effective work environment).
- Are there any talks you need to have with your principle or partners to make them aware of what you may have come up with as you thought this through?
After reaping August’s potential yourself, this is a great exercise to do in September with your team or staff to help them transition productively. They’ll get a fresh focus on goals and priorities both personally and aligned with yours or the company’s to bring in a strong and fulfilling year-end succcess across the board!
However, this moment is your secret weapon to jumpstart your journey towards year-end success, taking advantage of August’s serene ambiance to reflect and prepare. If you’d like help expanding on these questions and insights, setting clear intentions, and laying out a solid path for the rest of the year, contact me and let’s have a conversation.
Please join my monthly newsletter to receive notice of each new blog, useful resources, a personal essay, and news of workshops!